From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] planned removal of Python 2.4 and 2.5
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:39:54
1 I am planning to remove python-2.4.6 and python-2.5.4-r4 from the Prefix
2 tree in one week from now (February 19th), unless some raises valid
3 arguments against doing so.
4
5 Given that Python is a real pain to maintain for Prefix, and that the
6 Gentoo maintainers are not really of any help in moving Python to gx86,
7 I would like to start focussing on the version of Python that we want
8 ultimately in gx86. Therefore, I would like to remove python:2.4,
9 python:2.5 and python:2.6. This effectively means I would like to make
10 python:2.7 candidate for pushing to gx86. In preparation for this, I
11 want to remove python:2.4 and python:2.5 from our tree. On my main
12 development system, I have python:2.6 and python:2.7 installed
13 (USE_PYTHON="2.6 2.7"), but python:2.7 is my main interpreter and I
14 haven't seen any problems yet.
15
16 If you are using python:2.4 and python:2.5, it is a good time to stop
17 doing so now, or raise any argument as to why this is necessary so
18 badly.
19
20 Last but not least:
21 If you are unable to install python:2.7 right now, then it is a very
22 good moment to start trying to do so, report bugs, etc., since I plan to
23 remove python:2.6 not too long from now as well.
27 Fabian Groffen
28 Gentoo on a different level