From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Cc: wtk25@××××××.edu
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Welcome to gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:45:57
1 I'm trying to write a py2app ebuild on x64-macos [1], but installation
2 crashes with
3
4 * QA Notice: invalid reference to /usr/lib/libgcc_s_ppc64.1.dylib in /Users/wking/Gentoo/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/py2app/apptemplate/prebuilt/main-universal
5 * QA Notice: invalid reference to /usr/lib/libgcc_s_ppc64.1.dylib in /Users/wking/Gentoo/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/py2app/bundletemplate/prebuilt/main-universal
6
7 This makes sense, because I'm running x64-macos, so I don't have the
8 ppc64 libraries. My current solution is to ignore the problem:
9
10 $ FEATURES="allow_broken_install_names" emerge -av py2app
11
12 py2app bundles prebuilt stubs, but it looks like there *is* code to
13 rebuild them if necessary [2]. I'm not sure if there's a good way to
14 disable non-x64 stubs, or if that's even a good idea. The universal
15 stub presumably uses the appropriate library for whatever system
16 you're running on, but I am not enough of a linker guru to understand
17 how any of that works ;).
18
19 There are lots of bugs and mailing list messages where `invalid
20 reference to ...` problems have come up over the years, but I haven't
21 been able to find a clear description of what's actually going wrong.
22 How can a package successfully link to a library during the build if
23 that library doesn't exist? Manually checking that the library exists
24 seems like overkill, unless (as for my py2app), the libraries were not
25 built on your system. Anyhow, I'd be greatful if someone could shed
26 some light on the big-picture problem, and/or my particular py2app
27 issues.
28
29 Thanks!
30 Trevor