From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Cc: wtk25@××××××.edu
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Welcome to
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:45:57
I'm trying to write a py2app ebuild on x64-macos [1], but installation
crashes with

   * QA Notice: invalid reference to /usr/lib/libgcc_s_ppc64.1.dylib in /Users/wking/Gentoo/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/py2app/apptemplate/prebuilt/main-universal
   * QA Notice: invalid reference to /usr/lib/libgcc_s_ppc64.1.dylib in /Users/wking/Gentoo/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/py2app/bundletemplate/prebuilt/main-universal

This makes sense, because I'm running x64-macos, so I don't have the
ppc64 libraries.  My current solution is to ignore the problem:

    $ FEATURES="allow_broken_install_names" emerge -av py2app

py2app bundles prebuilt stubs, but it looks like there *is* code to
rebuild them if necessary [2].  I'm not sure if there's a good way to
disable non-x64 stubs, or if that's even a good idea.  The universal
stub presumably uses the appropriate library for whatever system
you're running on, but I am not enough of a linker guru to understand
how any of that works ;).

There are lots of bugs and mailing list messages where `invalid
reference to ...` problems have come up over the years, but I haven't
been able to find a clear description of what's actually going wrong.
How can a package successfully link to a library during the build if
that library doesn't exist?  Manually checking that the library exists
seems like overkill, unless (as for my py2app), the libraries were not
built on your system.  Anyhow, I'd be greatful if someone could shed
some light on the big-picture problem, and/or my particular py2app

This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (
For more information, see

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: Welcome to Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>