From: Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Use host X11 via virtual package
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:03:42
1 I think on some platforms having another set of X11 libraries and headers
2 inside prefix is redundant.
3
4 X11 is very conservative technology. Recent changes are in the field of direct
5 hardware interaction, but I believe it is not possible to use DRI inside prefix
6 if X11 implementation in prefix is not compatible with host one, so it could not
7 be reason for need of keeping updated X.org version inside prefix.
8
9 On Linux host we already have X.org, maybe different version than in portage
10 But API and ABI is keeped stable between releases. Mac OS X >= 10.5 also
11 provides X.org.
12
13 Some platforms provide alternative implementations of X11, and I guess they must
14 be API compatible with X.org. These include Windows SFU, older Mac OS X (<= 10.4)
15 and older Linux using Xfree86, maybe other Unixes too.
16
17 I propose to add virtual ebuilds for using host X11 libraries instead of building own.
18 Any objections?
21 Regards,
22 Konstantin