From: Greg <trigggl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] sys-libs/db-4.6.21_p1.ebuild wants rpcgen
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:58:46
1 >Confirmed, 'bos.net.nfs.server' AIX package is required for rpcgen.
2 >
3 >AFAIK, while RPC can be (and is) used as standalone communication tool,
4 >it did grow with NFS, and thus IBM ships it with NFS server, not as a
5 >standalone package unfortunately.
6 >
7 >But you don't need to actually _run_ the NFS server - although don't
8 >know if it is enabled by default when you install it.
9 >
10 >I don't think it'd be worth the effort to introduce another USE flag
11 >'rpc' or so - I've not seen any (unix-like) OS without rpcgen in
12 >general, as there's even "oncrpc" (maybe others) for native windows.
15 That would be a show stopper for me at work (if I were actually dumb
16 enough to try that here). At work we don't have 'bos.net.nfs.server'
17 installed. So, I guess for AIX, this could be a problem for someone
18 who's an unpreviledged user. Then again, we don't have gcc installed
19 either.
20
21 I installed it at home, though and it got me going again.
22
23 For some reason I have two versions of db being installed. Is that normal?
29 Greg Trigg
30
31 Jacksonville, AR
36 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list