From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Restructuring the bootstrap (or: getting rid of gcc 4.2)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 00:03:08
1 On Monday 03 February 2014 14:11:00 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2014 09:12 PM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o
4 > > <mailto:redlizard@g.o>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Hi all,
7 > >
8 > > I have recently been doing some cleanup work to the bootstrap script,
9 > > getting rid of cruft here and there. My goals in this have been twofold:
10 > > part of the
11 >
12 > One more thing for gcc-4.2.4: Currently, 4.2.4 is the only one I made
13 > working for Prefix on ppc-aix. The next one I plan to make working is some
14 > gcc-4.8.x - eventually I get one more round tuit [1] this year.
15
16 I should clarify: my bootstrap script does away with the need to *temporarily* use an older gcc version during bootstrap than is available for the platform in
17 prefix. If gcc 4-2-4 is simply the only gcc available for $platform at all, even outside the bootstrap, then my bootstrap approach isn't going to improve things.
18
19 > > Now, the hard part is that one person does not have access to many
20 > > platforms.
21 >
22 > Exactly.
23 >
24 > However, my current setup might help to some degree: I do have a buildbot
25 > running to bootstrap current Gentoo Prefix instances (32bits only) with
26 > LATEST_TREE=yes once a week, with additional sync+update once a day (iirc).
27 >
28 > The buildbot slave machines currently operating are (gcc-version as
29 > available on the login-shell):
30 >
31 > ppc AIX 7.1 gcc-4.6.1, last success on 2013, Dec 29
32 > ppc AIX 6.1 gcc-4.6.1, last success on 2014, Jan 8
33 > ppc AIX 5.3 gcc-3.3.6, currently broken, not investigated yet, maybe going to become obsolete for us
34 >
35 > sparc Sun Solaris 10 gcc-3.4.6, currently broken, not investigated yet, going to become obsolete for us
36 >
37 > ia64 HP-UX 11.31 gcc-4.2.3, currently broken, obsolete for us
38 > hppa2.0w HP-UX 11.31 gcc-4.4.3, currently broken, obsolete for us
39
40 It would be amazingly helpful if I could test on those machines; or, if that's not possible, if you could test things for me (though that will probably involve
41 quite a few tedious "patch - test again - still broken" cycles). The other systems I can acquire on my own (though of course I certainly wouldn't complain if
42 you just have them available).
43
44 -- Ruud