From: Tomasz Pawelczak <tomasz@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-alt <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [Solaris] Gentoo Prefix Stage 3 package forSolaris 5.10
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:45:48
1 > Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > > On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:35:57 +0100, Markus Duft <md...@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> Tomasz Pawelczak wrote:
4 > >>> Hi,
5 > >>>
6 > >>> I created a native Soliaris package containing Gentoo Prefix (after
7 > >>> fresh bootstrap). You can grab it from
8 > >>>
9 > > http://mirror.szafa.eu.org/gentoo-prefix-solaris/GPXStage3-v0.2-08.11.2009-i386-x86.pkg.bz2
10 > >>> .It was build and tested on &#8220;Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86".
11 > >>> After you have installed the package, run
12 > >>> &#8220;/opt/gentoo/startprefix" to enter Gentoo Prefix, and
13 > >>> &#8220;emerge &#8211;sync" to sync with portage.
14 > >> sounds great - even consistent with what i'm doing on windows - i like
15 > > it!
16 > >> Cheers, Markus
17 > >
18 > > First, thanks for providing such a solution.
19 >
20 > ++
21
22 Nice :) I will also provide packages for sparc and Solaris 11 (x86/sparc).
25 > > me from providing binaries for the 6+ prefix arches that I have simply
26 > > because I don't have time to maintain my 'production' prefixes in my /home
27 > > NFS *and* a super long pathed prefix. Alternatively, I was debating about
28 > > making a standard "/opt/gentoo" prefix installation to provide something.
29 > > Again, the same boat regarding maintaining multiple prefixes. Although,
30 > > that "/opt/gentoo" prefix is a very similar approach to any such stage3
31 > > solution like this.
32 >
33 > maybe i can still use the binpkgs approach while still hardcoding
34 > /opt/gentoo, yes. that would for sure be a cool thing. but it takes away
35 > lots of the freedom you get with prefix :(. this would IMHO be a
36 > solution for the "i want to try it out" guys, not the power users. and
37 > if it's not for everybody, the question is how hard to maintain is it in
38 > parallel?
39 >
40 Whole thing with creating this package was that I wanted to show my
41 friend Gentoo on Solaris... at last this took me 2 x 3 hours to
42 bootstrap(some stupid errors in copy-paste from howto). But now I
43 created package that can be installed in custom EPREFIX dir, see
44 http://mirror.szafa.eu.org/gentoo-prefix-solaris/README-GPXStage3-v0.3.1.txt
45 and it almost works ;). Only 1 lib is broken libz.so. Unfortunately it
46 is needed by emerge. So, why libz.so is ignoring LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
47
48 Now we can build package with hardcoded EPREFIX dir writeble by all
49 users (e.g. /tmp,/var/tmp). After installation fix broken libs by
50 symbolic links, rebuild broken package, and done.
51
52 TODO: non root install (via tarbal I think).
53
54 > on windows, it would not be such a big problem, since i _have_ to
55 > maintain the DVD images anyway for my company. if i manage to get time
56 > to re-write parts of my setup.exe, i may manage to make it install
57 > binpkgs (additionally to a "stage3"?)...
60 As long as I work in current company i have access to Solaris systems on
61 x86(x64) and sparc(sparc64) so building stage3 packages once at 4-6
62 months is no problem.
63 --
64 Pozdrawiam / Best regards
65 Tomasz Pawelczak