From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] portage modifications for prefix
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 08:05:52
1 On 05-05-2011 09:59:01 +0200, Burcin Erocal wrote:
2 > I am trying to automate the bootstrapping process for gentoo-prefix as
3 > much as possible, partly based on the instructions here:
4 >
5 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/prefix/gentoo/bootstrap-gentoo.xml
6 >
7 > However, I want this to work on linux flavors other than gentoo and the
8 > python-2.6 requirement of portage is causing problems.
9
10 This is why we bootstrap python-2.6 on all non-Linux platforms. Check
11 the Solaris bootstrap guide for a much less-optimistic bootstrap
12 procedure.
13
14 > One way to work around this is to use one of the portage variants
15 > at least for the bootstrap stage. AFAICT, pkgcore seems to support
16 > python-2.4.
17
18 Prefix support is defined in PMS as EAPI-3. The "reference"
19 implementation, is the Prefix portage "prefix" branch [1], which does
20 much more than is documented in PMS, to 1) ease transition for Prefix
21 users (it e.g. defines EPREFIX and friends for *all* EAPIs) and 2) check
22 all kinds of conditions that only make sense in an offset environment.
23
24 > Is there a list of modifications that were merged in portage to get it
25 > to work with the prefix tree? How much work would it be to make pkgcore
26 > or paludis support these?
27
28 You probably want to look at prefix-launcher (I don't know the
29 intrinsics of this thing), and you might want to check what the
30 gentoo/openbsd team is doing currently to automate their OpenBSD
31 bootstrap.
34 [1] http://prefix.gentooexperimental.org:8000/portage-prefix/graph/
35 (there is also the portage.git tree on git.overlays.gentoo.org)
38 Fabian Groffen
39 Gentoo on a different level