From: John Gibson <jgibson@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] case-insensitive file system on mac
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:21:56
1 On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:39 PM, Qiangning Hong wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:59 AM, John Gibson <jgibson@×××××.org>
3 > wrote:
4 >> I run a MacBook Pro as well. I found that you can just create a
5 >> sparse
6 >> image with a case sensitive filesystem and use that for prefix
7 >> portage.
8 >
9 > Thank you. I tried the sparse image, but it seems it is very slow?
10 > It takes me more than 2 minutes to copy 147MB files from $HOME/Gentoo
11 > to /Volumes/Gentoo.
12 >
13 > --
14 > Qiangning Hong
15 > http://www.douban.com/people/hongqn/
16 > --
17 > gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list
18
19 I just did 140M of MP3s in about 15 seconds. I suppose that it could
20 be slower if I had a lot of little files. I haven't updated my
21 prefix in a long time so I can't give you day-to-day usage speed for
22 compiles and syncs, etc.
23 One thing to check is how quickly your sparseimage expands when it
24 gets full. I'm pretty sure that you can tweak this behavior when
25 creating your sparseimage from the command line. I created my prefix
26 so long ago that I can't remember what configuration I used for it.
27
28 John
31 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list