From: Michael Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] RFC: abstract for Conference on Computing in High Energy & Nuclear Physics
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 18:53:27
1 On 12/05/19 16:42, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > I am going to to submit an abstract on the use case of Gentoo Prefix to
5 > Conference on Computing in High Energy & Nuclear Physics, to be held in
6 > Australia. Please find the draft below. Comments before May 19 will be
7 > reflected in the submitted version.
8 >
9 > By default I am going to list the Prefix team as authors. Please reply
10 > me if you want to add or remove yourself from the author list.
11 >
12 > Thanks!
13 > Benda
14 >
15 > Gentoo Prefix as a physics software manager
16 >
17 > In big physics experiments, as simulation, reconstruction and
18 > analysis become more sophisticated, scientific reproducibility is
19 > not a trivial task. Software is one of the biggest
20 > challenges. Modularity is a common sense of software engineering to
21 > facilitate quality and reusability of code. However, that often
22 > introduces nested dependencies not obvious for physicists to work
23 > with. Package manager is the widely practised solution to organize
24 > dependencies systematically.
25 >
26 > Portage from Gentoo Linux is both robust and flexible, and is highly
27 > regarded by the free operating system community. In the form of
28 > Gentoo Prefix, portage can be deployed by a normal user into a
29 > directory prefix, on a workstation, cloud or supercomputing node.
30 > Software is described by its build recipes along with dependency
31 > relations. Real world use cases of Gentoo Prefix in neutrino and
32 > dark matter experiments will be demonstrated, to show how physicists
33 > could benefit from existing tools of proven superiority to guarantee
34 > reproducibility in simulation, reconstruction and analysis of big
35 > physics experiments.
36 >
37 Fantastic! It would be great to see this appearing on the Gentoo PR
38 channels too! :]
39
40 MJE