From: matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] Stable Keywords?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:15:06
1 On Nov 21, 2007, at 3:09 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 > On 21-11-2007 08:49:12 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
4 >> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 15:57 -0600, matt hull wrote:
5 >>> i think we should use stable and testing in the current tree. no
6 >>> different from other hurds. after 30 days with no major bugs and
7 >>> tested mark the package as stable. as you said you dont have any
8 >>> time, so you could just leave it unstable till there is time
9 >>
10 >> +1
11 >
12 > Be aware that arch teams have a hard job doing stable markings, as the
13 > entire dep chain needs to be stable too. In other words, I for sure
14 > wouldn't put my time in it, so others would have to go this route.
15 >
16 >>> i would like to see this for system packages so a change doesnt
17 >>> break
18 >>> my system and force a reinstall.
19 >>
20 >> +2
21 >>
22 >> Having at least system+svn stable would be really useful,
23 >> especially for
24 >> bootstrapping.
27 not so much boot strap, but so that an update to any system tool wont
28 need one. the boot strap packages could probably be marked stable
29 first since those are the most tested; how can one start with gentoo
30 if they can not boot strap.
31
32 > I thought about this too, but what does it really add? The bootstrap
33 > snapshot is already a freezed snapshot that is supposed to work
34 > (that's
35 > why I can't just spin off a new snapshot, it needs to be in a stable
36 > state). More than often I have to release a new snapshot just
37 > because I
38 > fixed a quite show-stopping bug in the bootstrap image. A stable
39 > keyword doesn't help here, as we either have to immediately bump these
40 > packages into stable here, or the stable version causes trouble
41 > once an
42 > update is being done. The nice library moves that I had to do are a
43 > great example of this.
46 > --
47 > Fabian Groffen
48 > Gentoo on a different level