From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [Solaris] Gentoo Prefix Stage 3 package for Solaris 5.10
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:52:24
1 On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:35:57 +0100, Markus Duft <mduft@g.o> wrote:
2 > Tomasz Pawelczak wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I created a native Soliaris package containing Gentoo Prefix (after
6 >> fresh bootstrap). You can grab it from
7 >>
8 http://mirror.szafa.eu.org/gentoo-prefix-solaris/GPXStage3-v0.2-08.11.2009-i386-x86.pkg.bz2
9 >>
10 >> .It was build and tested on “Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86".
11 >> After you have installed the package, run
12 >> “/opt/gentoo/startprefix" to enter Gentoo Prefix, and
13 >> “emerge –sync" to sync with portage.
14 >
15 > sounds great - even consistent with what i'm doing on windows - i like
16 it!
17 >
18 > Cheers, Markus
19
20 First, thanks for providing such a solution.
21
22 Now, let me bring up the subject of binpkgs. Largely ignored is this:
23 http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-prefix/ - it is historically
24 "tough" to relocate our prefix binaries, so (IIRC), the binaries that
25 grobian put up there have a really long path that gets condensed with
26 chpthtool (paths can only be shrunk, not grown). This is largely preventing
27 me from providing binaries for the 6+ prefix arches that I have simply
28 because I don't have time to maintain my 'production' prefixes in my /home
29 NFS *and* a super long pathed prefix. Alternatively, I was debating about
30 making a standard "/opt/gentoo" prefix installation to provide something.
31 Again, the same boat regarding maintaining multiple prefixes. Although,
32 that "/opt/gentoo" prefix is a very similar approach to any such stage3
33 solution like this.
34
35 Any brainstorming thoughts? (Excuse the any ignorance on my part with
36 regards to binpkgs, I'm still a newb in that area :P )
37 -Jeremy