From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: Prefix/Cygwin: zlib, GCC, which version?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 07:12:10
1 On 10/05/10 17:05, Al wrote:
2 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
3 >> suggests "=gcc-4.2*". Why?
4
5 IIRC, the reason to stick with gcc-4.2 during bootstrap is that it is the
6 last one not needing extra dependencies (mpfr, gmp) being merged before,
7 to keep bootstrap process as simple as possible.
8
9 > To note that gcc-4.2.4-r01.2 also doesn't work.
10 >
11 > /home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.2/work/gcc-4.2.4/libiberty/strsignal.c:409:
12 > error: conflicting types for 'strsignal'
13 > /usr/include/string.h:79: error: previous declaration of 'strsignal' was here
14
15 Seems like a cygwin specific issue, needing a cygwin specific fix in gcc then.
16
17 > Is that right, that it using /usr/include/string.h from Cygwins glibc?
18
19 Yes, although gcc may make a copy of system headers to fix known issues
20 here and there, but I doubt this is done before building gcc itself.
21
22 > Don't we add an own version of glibc on on Prefix?
23
24 Nope, we use the host provided libc.
25
26 > Is that the interface to Cygwins POSIX layer?
27
28 What do you mean by "that"?
29 Cygwin provides a POSIX layer, including some libc,
30 and prefix runs on top of that.
31
32 HTH,
33 /haubi/