From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] Interix _ALL_SOURCE
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 06:29:33
2 > While compiling Mutt on Interix, I was confronted with flock +
3 > constants
4 > not being defined. Further inspection of the header file (manpage said
5 > it should exist in fcntl.h) revealed the need for _ALL_SOURCE. Many
6 > ebuilds just include flag-o-matic to do append-flags -D_ALL_SOURCE on
7 > Interix. Not being very amused by the beauty of that solution, and
8 > looking at the insanity of the Interix headers, what's against just
9 > adding -D_ALL_SOURCE in the Interix' profile.bashrc file (with
10 > encompassing logic not to add it multiple times)? Wouldn't that be
11 > much
12 > saner (and cleaner in the ebuilds)? Are there packages known to break
13 > when _ALL_SOURCE is defined?
14
15 I guess there where packages refusing to build with _ALL_SOURCE, but I can't think of a single one. After all it shouldn't be too much work to get those to build with _ALL_SOURCE then I think.
16
17 So from my POV, enabling should be ok. BUT: that would mean that packages will possibly change behavior, which means that eventually nothing has to stay compatible to the current builds. This is not a blocker I think, but we have to remember that it would be better to re-bootstrap most of the things, after this change, to keep everything consistent.
18
19 Cheers, Markus
23 > --
24 > Fabian Groffen