From: Dirk Tilger <dirk@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Mesa header in media-libs/apple-opengl-2
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:14:07
1 On 2009-04-07, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > Is there anything that would break if we remove this symlink? And does
3 > it make sense to have both mesa and apple-opengl installed? I thought
4 > mesa provides an opengl implementation? I'm not to familiar with this
5 > stuff, so please tell me if I'm wrong.
6
7 Hi Grobian,
8
9 well, to be honest, I'm not deep into this either. "osmesa.h" declares
10 functions in /usr/X11R6/lib/libOSMesa.dylib, which is not currently
11 included in apple-opengl, so it wouldn't really change something if we
12 omitted it. Both header and library are not part of the OpenGL standard
13 and but provide additional functionality (offscreen rendering).
14
15 Mesa is an OpenGL implementation doing rendering in software or through
16 DRI, which is Linux specific. It's most useful on platforms that don't
17 come with a native OpenGL implementation. On other platforms it's likley
18 only useful for developers.
19
20 However, since the ebuild is already in prefix and I was currently in
21 the need of having Mesa on my box, I have now an ebuild with Darwin
22 compatiblity modifications and would happily contribute it. ;)
23
24 Br,
25 Dirk.