From: Galaxy <galaxy001@×××××.com>
To: Elmar Hinz <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] You too? youtoo!
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:10:20
1 So, since gcc-4.4 requires '>=sys-libs/glibc-2.8', how can I install gcc-4.4 with host glibc-2.4 ?
2
3 > To come a step forward with to my target I come up with this idea for
4 > the Prefix team. Get the vision is already in everybodies head.
5
6 > youtoo, short u2, does what it says. It brings gentoo to everybody, to
7 > the windows user, to the mac user, ... did I forget someone, well
8 > certainly also to un*x users.
9
10 > youtoo --prefix /home/user/gentoo/ --target gedit
11
12 > That would compile gedit into the given directory, with all required
13 > dependencies.
14
15 > Everybody could run gentoo programs with user rights on any platform,
16 > always from the latests sources. If it works, it would become a kind
17 > of driving engine for the whole gentoo distribution.
20 > Is that realistic?
21
22 > Has somebody done it already?
23
24 > Where are the pitfalls?
25
26 > On windows it would i.e. include the installation of the cygwin
27 > compatibility layer, to get a Posix environment.
28
29 > What would you think about?
30
31 > How big do you estimate the timely requirements to get a prove of concept?
32
33 > Al