From: Dirk Tilger <dirk@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Launchd plists, anyone?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 06:59:03
On 2009-04-23, Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com> wrote:
> I've found myself crafting some launchd plists for some daemons we use > here, such as postgresql. Are these things that other people are > interested in? I could file a bug with a copy of the plist file (to be > installed into usr/share) and a patch to the ebuild to issue install > instructions where appropriate, if this would be useful to other > folks.
Yes, me. ;) But actually, I had a different approach in mind (I believe). One of the things that drove me to Gentoo was how the runlevel scripts dealt with dependencies. I have been using a custom baselayout-prefix ebuild for a while (1.5a) that actually allows me to start services just like on a normal Gentoo. The only drawback is that the runlevel management does not notice reboots and thus does not notice when running daemons just went missing. My idea was to have a single LaunchAgent plist and that would be starting the runlevel management of the prefixed Gentoo just about the same way "init" is doing it for normal Gentoo when you log in. Then one can add service scripts using rc-update or whatever way one would use on a normal Gentoo. We would need something for the shutdown, too, and here I haven't got any good ideas yet. Maybe we can work together one this? Dirk.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: Launchd plists, anyone? Alexander Kellett <a@×××××××.net>