From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] AIX linking adventure
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 00:35:29
1 This is *not* ready for prime time but I thought I would mention it here.
2
3 I wrote a front end to AIX's ld command as well as a relink command I'm calling "rl". You can see them here:
4
5 https://github.com/pedz/aixbin
6
7 I've used this only for Ruby -- and it was in fact Ruby that caused me to do this. Their out of the box system does not work at all for AIX if the prefix directory is not the same as GCC's. WIth this, I can now use rvm on AIX and do "rvm install 1.9.1" and it will complete successfully without my fingers leaving my hands.
8
9 I mentioned this idea on this list before but it didn't fly very well. I'm not sure if it was completely understood.
10
11 This is more of a proof of concept at this stage. I'm going to putter around and try and use it on other packages.
12
13 "rl" could be enhanced to take "from" and "to" directories. If you wanted to change files installed in /some/old/directory and put them into /some/new/directory, rl could easily modified do that.
14
15 Enjoy
16 Perry