From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] About gentoo-x86 and us
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 15:39:05
1 Hi all,
2
3 Since I've failed to properly communicate the move of /profiles from our
4 overlay to gentoo-x86 (ok, I blame it on a surprise commit by someone
5 else :) ) I want to share my thoughts about the two here with you before
6 taking action this time ;)
7
8 What basically annoys the hell out of me in the current system is that a
9 package as for instance mail-client/mutt is fully Prefix Aware(tm) in
10 gx86 -- including keywords -- but still is synced to the Prefix tree.
11 Let alone packages like gcc-apple, which are Prefix-only.
12
13 It also annoys me that there are two places to commit to now, as well.
14 For example, should a fix to an eclass go to gx86, or the Prefix tree?
15
16 As I think we'll have a transition period for a long while from now I've
17 been playing with the thought to make our lives a little bit easier by
18 allowing to eliminate duplicate packages, that is the exact same
19 version in gx86 and the Prefix tree.
20
21 The idea is simple, from an rsync perspective. We start "overlaying"
22 gx86, overwriting all packages in there with their Prefix tree versions
23 if existing. It takes a bit of hacking in the rsync generation scripts,
24 but I think I can get the following running:
25 - update gx86 cvs checkout
26 - rsync it without CVS dirs to the candidate image
27 - update Prefix tree svn checkout
28 - remove all packages in the candidate image which exist in the Prefix
29 tree
30 - rsync the Prefix tree without .svn dirs over the candidate image
31 - distribute the candidate image to rsync1
32
33 Due to the full gx86 checkout, the generation frequency has to go down a
34 bit, as it takes a long time to update that tree, but that's details.
35 The idea here is that we can remove packages which are fully Prefix
36 Aware(tm), such as mutt, and only maintain it in gx86. This would also
37 make it easy to get it clear what's the todo list of us to merge in
38 gx86; if we have an empty tree, we're done :) (at that time we can
39 simply make the prefix rsync alias point to the gx86 rsync mirrors).
40
41 Thoughts? Objections?
45 Fabian Groffen
46 Gentoo on a different level