From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Our ongoing migration efforts
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:16:43
1 Hey all,
2
3 Just a quick note on a little insight I created yesterday that I'd like
4 to share with you.
5 At some point at the start of this year I decided to start collecting
6 timing information on the rsync generation process. This process is
7 what generates the usr/portage tree that most of you will use when you
8 emerge --sync against an rsync mirror.
9 On that matter we now have 3 active mirrors, of which 2 in the US, 1 in
10 Europe. Our rsync3 which is still listed is soon about to disappear
11 forgood as it has been replaced by rsync5. To get an idea what the
12 mirrors are doing, have a look at this plot:
13 http://stats.prefix.freens.org/rsync-usage-last4weeks.png
14
15 Back to the rsync generation process, I'm happy to see that since the
16 beginning of this year, we make a steady improvement:
17 http://stats.prefix.freens.org/timing-rsync0-full.png
18 As you can see the total time is going up, at the same rate of the cvs
19 update of gx86 packages. This simply means that more and more packages
20 from gx86 are whitelisted all the time, which is good! A proof that
21 it's not just the machine getting slower is in the green line for the
22 svn update of the prefix overlay, which is going down; less to update,
23 so packages are really removed :) Since our tree grows, metadata cache
24 generation (egencache) takes more and more time, so it all fits! The
25 final proof that we really are working on moving packages over to gx86
26 is in the graph that shows the keywording amounts for all architectures.
27 If you look closely, you can see a steep growth of the "all" line, which
28 represents the number of packages in the tree. Many are "added" without
29 any Prefix keywords, simply because we whitelist entire categories.
30
31 Conclusion, our migration is going steady, at least we're not standing
32 still. Thanks all who work on it!
36 Fabian Groffen
37 Gentoo on a different level