From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefixed MySQL on MacOSX-intel
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:56:44
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 >> Porting in general:
3 >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=164488
4 >> (Sorry forgot to bookmark the bug and am too lazy to search my IRC logs
5 >> for it )
6 >
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml (off the top
8 > of my head)
9
10 No I read that, this was a bug that darkslide set for himself to
11 (re)write a ecopy user guide. It's #234006, I managed to find the log :-)
12
13 > Not a necessity I think, but would be really nice to have.
14
15 What is the preferred way of dealing with that in prefix, I agree it
16 would be really nice to have a small stripped init-alike script that at
17 least starts the server with options defined in f.e. conf.d/mysql.
18
19 Looking at the current init-script I'd better strip it and cook
20 something new for prefix and include it in $FILES.
21
22 >> emerge --config fails due to an unknown option used when starting the
23 >> server (--skip-ndbcluster) which is added in the mysql.eclass for all
24 >> server above version 4.1.3, if I remove that there's an unknown option
25 >> for --skip-innodb, seems like the eclass might need a small revamp to
26 >> deal with the new plugin setup in 5.1
27 >
28 > Hmmm...
29
30 It's not that bad, there's a prefix section in the eclass where we could
31 probably test the changes just for this particular problem. Assuming
32 that changing live-eclasses is somewhat simpler in prefix than in
33 gentoo-x86.
34
35 >> * What testing if any is normal for this kind of stuff ? I'm looking
36 >> into getting the test-suite to run on the installed bins, is that
37 >> mandatory for prefix ?
38 >
39 > Running the testsuite is of course very helpful. However, the best
40 > tests come from advanced users that know how the product works, and
41 > hence can quickly do a sanity test to see if the product behaves on a
42 > few core tasks.
43
44 Hey, I was getting to that. But if the test-suite works as well, it;s
45 automated saving the advanced user some time in sanity testing :-)
46
47 >> * What is the current idea of init-scripts for these type of services,
48 >> should the init-scripts be patched to work on alt-platformX ?
49 >
50 > They require a lot of work. I'd love to have them, but for now we have
51 > to ignore them, until we have a working infrastructure for them (and
52 > good plans on how to "port" them).
53
54 OK
57 >> * How to get these ebuilds into prefix, open a bug ?
58 >
59 > Bugs work usually best, so anyone on the team can pick them up. What we
60 > like to know is:
61 > - which changes did you make *after* ecopy, preferably using a diff -u
62 > - which patches you added, preferably attached uncompressed
63 > - if it runs, and if so, as expected
64
65 OK, I'll open a bug with ebuilds once I have a working version with
66 innodb support, not much use without it imho.
67
68 >> * What about the eclass updates that are necessary (this most likely
69 >> affects current "normal" gentoo tree as well ?)
70 >
71 > I have to look into the details for this one, but I think this is indeed
72 > a gentoo-x86 problem, judging from your description. That would
73 > preferably solved first there, such that it automagically gets into
74 > Prefix.
75
76 I'll make some changes in the prefix section of the eclass to see how it
77 pans out, if that works I'll open a bug for the gentoo-x86 eclass.
78
79 > Thanks for your detailed explanation. I hope we can incorporate your
80 > efforts in the tree soon.
81
82 Me too.
83