From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [Solaris] Gentoo Prefix Stage 3 package for Solaris 5.10
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:38:23
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:35:57 +0100, Markus Duft <mduft@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Tomasz Pawelczak wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I created a native Soliaris package containing Gentoo Prefix (after
7 >>> fresh bootstrap). You can grab it from
8 >>>
9 > http://mirror.szafa.eu.org/gentoo-prefix-solaris/GPXStage3-v0.2-08.11.2009-i386-x86.pkg.bz2
10 >>> .It was build and tested on “Solaris 10 11/06 s10x_u3wos_10 X86".
11 >>> After you have installed the package, run
12 >>> “/opt/gentoo/startprefix" to enter Gentoo Prefix, and
13 >>> “emerge –sync" to sync with portage.
14 >> sounds great - even consistent with what i'm doing on windows - i like
15 > it!
16 >> Cheers, Markus
17 >
18 > First, thanks for providing such a solution.
19
20 ++
23 > Now, let me bring up the subject of binpkgs. Largely ignored is this:
24
25 uhhh :)
26
27 > http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-prefix/ - it is historically
28 > "tough" to relocate our prefix binaries, so (IIRC), the binaries that
29 > grobian put up there have a really long path that gets condensed with
30 > chpthtool (paths can only be shrunk, not grown). This is largely preventing
31
32 and there are additional problems with chpathtool on some platforms. i
33 investigated the whole thing a while ago, since i thought it would be
34 great to (instead of distributing a whole big /opt/gentoo on windows)
35 distribute my gentoo prefix installations split into binpkgs, where the
36 user can decide which to install (much like cygwin does it). i back then
37 also thought about letting the user decide where to install, thats why i
38 was looking at chpathtool.
39
40 however, the _only_ case where i had real success in changing EPREFIX,
41 is when the new EPREFIX has the _exact_ same length as the old one.
42 seems there is more work to be done one this (and: NO. it was not
43 windows' fault (it most of the time is, i know), since i tried all this
44 on linux ;p)
45
46 > me from providing binaries for the 6+ prefix arches that I have simply
47 > because I don't have time to maintain my 'production' prefixes in my /home
48 > NFS *and* a super long pathed prefix. Alternatively, I was debating about
49 > making a standard "/opt/gentoo" prefix installation to provide something.
50 > Again, the same boat regarding maintaining multiple prefixes. Although,
51 > that "/opt/gentoo" prefix is a very similar approach to any such stage3
52 > solution like this.
53
54 maybe i can still use the binpkgs approach while still hardcoding
55 /opt/gentoo, yes. that would for sure be a cool thing. but it takes away
56 lots of the freedom you get with prefix :(. this would IMHO be a
57 solution for the "i want to try it out" guys, not the power users. and
58 if it's not for everybody, the question is how hard to maintain is it in
59 parallel?
60
61 on windows, it would not be such a big problem, since i _have_ to
62 maintain the DVD images anyway for my company. if i manage to get time
63 to re-write parts of my setup.exe, i may manage to make it install
64 binpkgs (additionally to a "stage3"?)...
65
66 Cheers, Markus
69 > Any brainstorming thoughts? (Excuse the any ignorance on my part with
70 > regards to binpkgs, I'm still a newb in that area :P )
71 > -Jeremy