From: "François Bissey" <francois.bissey@×××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Package failures
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 03:06:28
1 On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:55:09 William Morris wrote:
2 > Hi Benda, Fabian
3 >
4 > Thanks for the help. I had another situation today after doing a sync and
5 > trying to update (with emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse
6 > world). The merge failed on the first of 48 (libpng). It turned out that
7 > it was quite easy to fix and I did so by changing the makefile in the
8 > working directory: make and then make install worked. However, that is
9 > clearly not enough and emerge --resume just continued from the beginning.
10 > Modifying the tarball with my fix also failed as the ebuild re-downloaded a
11 > new tarball. As you can see I'm grasping...
12 >
13 > So what is the correct way to approach this sort of failure? Sure I should
14 > report a bug (I created bug report which turned out to be a duplicate of bug
15 > 465010), but after doing that, I don't want to wait for resolution if I
16 > have a solution. But equally, I don't necessarily want to create a patch
17 > and modify the ebuild to apply it. Is there a shortcut to be able to
18 > continue? I have done a emerge --skipfirst to let the merge continue, but
19 > that will still leave some packages un-merged.
20 >
21 > I guess this is where overlays come into play, but to be honest,
22 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay doesn't get me far (maybe I'm too dense
23 > to follow it, but it doesn't seem to say how I actually create the overlay:
24 > what do I create?). layman seems no use in this case...
25 >
26 > Sorry to bug you; ignore if busy, but any pointers would be gratefully
27 > received
28 > :-)
29
30 This link may be more useful:
31 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-827407-start-0.html
32 There are some debatable points (usage of root) about it but it should be
33 enough to get you started with your own overlay.
34
35 Francois