From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Bootstrap process for Linux users
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 08:28:02
1 On 21-08-2010 13:07:09 +0900, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Hi Al,
3 >
4 > Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > Am I allowed to adapt the Solaris documentation do a documentation for
7 > > Linux Users?
8 >
9 > I think it is better first describe to the list what exactly you are
10 > going to alter. And we will discuss about it.
11
12 Point is (why there is no Linux doc), there is no "Linux" out there.
13 There are only zillions of distros that all do it their way. What works
14 on Gentoo, Fedora and ALTlinux, will not on Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS
15 for example.
16
17 The ultimate guide doesn't exist. The guides that exist now (FreeBSD
18 one was contributed, but isn't maintained) are working most of the time
19 because the respective vendors (Apple, Sun/Oracle) keep their product
20 stable in a sense.
21 What would probably the best for Linux (and others) is to create a
22 binary self-provided "installer", that is nothing more but a /var/tmp
23 based minimal Prefix installation, built on an oldish glibc that would
24 be used to cross-Prefix emerge a new Prefix in a location of choice.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level