From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] creating a prefix.eclass?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:28:23
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
> Sort of responding to/being inspired by haubi's comment on -dev about > "inherit eapi 4", I wondered whether we should make a prefix.eclass. > > Currently we have eprefixify as function provided by Portage, and hence > ebuilds that use eprefixify cannot be straight ported to gentoo-x86. > Most notable are the eselect-* ebuilds that some gentoo-x86 devs like to > give full Prefix support, but simply can't because eprefixify (which we > would use) cannot be used in gentoo-x86. > > So, should we start an eclass with for now eprefixify in there, and for > every ebuild where we use it, start inheriting prefix and nuke the > function from Portage?  Somehow I think this is a good idea. > > Since I like haubi's idea about inherit doing the magic for eapis, > perhaps this can even solve the problem we have with our EAPI mungling > (all our ebuilds just inherit eapi prefix to "tag" them) and all > eclasses (it remains a hell of a job to keep it working), as well as > having prefix ebuilds live happily next to non-prefix ones.  But for > that we really need Portage to be able to mask based on what's in the > inherit line, e.g. the resolver needs to take it into account.
I'm not opposed to the idea and to be quite frank, we need a better solution than EAPI=prefix which a) will not be allowed in gentoo-x86 purely based on name[1], b) breaks on every EAPI bump[2], c) is not a legal use of EAPI anymore[3] [1]: PMS says that Gentoo can only use numbers (as strings) for EAPI names. [citation needed, but I know it is true] [2]: EAPI=prefix extends every EAPI so its a poor choice to be called an EAPI. Some additional options include PROPERTIES=prefix - which is restrictable, and other brainstorming that I forgot atm. [3]: see [2]. initially, EAPI=prefix was thought to be a good use of EAPI's but I don't think that is true anymore. -Jeremy