From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] creating a prefix.eclass?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:28:23
1 On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > Sort of responding to/being inspired by haubi's comment on -dev about
3 > "inherit eapi 4", I wondered whether we should make a prefix.eclass.
4 >
5 > Currently we have eprefixify as function provided by Portage, and hence
6 > ebuilds that use eprefixify cannot be straight ported to gentoo-x86.
7 > Most notable are the eselect-* ebuilds that some gentoo-x86 devs like to
8 > give full Prefix support, but simply can't because eprefixify (which we
9 > would use) cannot be used in gentoo-x86.
10 >
11 > So, should we start an eclass with for now eprefixify in there, and for
12 > every ebuild where we use it, start inheriting prefix and nuke the
13 > function from Portage?  Somehow I think this is a good idea.
14 >
15 > Since I like haubi's idea about inherit doing the magic for eapis,
16 > perhaps this can even solve the problem we have with our EAPI mungling
17 > (all our ebuilds just inherit eapi prefix to "tag" them) and all
18 > eclasses (it remains a hell of a job to keep it working), as well as
19 > having prefix ebuilds live happily next to non-prefix ones.  But for
20 > that we really need Portage to be able to mask based on what's in the
21 > inherit line, e.g. the resolver needs to take it into account.
22
23 I'm not opposed to the idea and to be quite frank, we need a better
24 solution than EAPI=prefix which a) will not be allowed in gentoo-x86
25 purely based on name[1], b) breaks on every EAPI bump[2], c) is not a
26 legal use of EAPI anymore[3]
27
28 [1]: PMS says that Gentoo can only use numbers (as strings) for EAPI
29 names. [citation needed, but I know it is true]
30 [2]: EAPI=prefix extends every EAPI so its a poor choice to be called
31 an EAPI. Some additional options include PROPERTIES=prefix - which is
32 restrictable, and other brainstorming that I forgot atm.
33 [3]: see [2]. initially, EAPI=prefix was thought to be a good use of
34 EAPI's but I don't think that is true anymore.
35
36 -Jeremy