From: Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] simple question about installing chromium browser for use in debian OS using gentoo prefix..
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 16:09:25
1 Dear All,
2
3 I notice from looking at a recent post on the debian user list that
4 the current versions of the chromium browser available in debian
5 stretch and buster are rather old and are missing quite a few security
6 updates.
7
8 The user was requesting a newer version of chromium be made available
9 in debian to solve the problem.
10
11 It occurred to me that I could use gentoo prefix to install the latest
12 version of chromium from the gentoo repositories.
13
14 That ought to be more recent.
15
16 If I would do that, would the installed version of chromium be seen by
17 the debian OS window manager (e.g. LXDE or GNOME or can you only run
18 the browser from inside the gentoo prefix directory after starting it
19 up and specifying path to the browser ie something like
20 /usr/bin/chromium <return> etc?
21
22 What exactly is the offset used by gentoo prefix?
23
24 Is it some kind of chroot environment?
25
26 What is the correct way to copy files in an out of it from the debian
27 OS environment?
28
29 Regards
30