From: Francois Bissey <francois.bissey@×××××××××××××.nz>
To: "gentoo-alt@l.g.o" <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] Restructuring the bootstrap (or: getting rid of gcc 4.2)
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 19:55:10
1 On 3/02/2014, at 6:34, Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o> wrote:
2
3 >But gcc and friends are specifically designed to be buildable on any
4 >ridiculous old system, and the use of other tools hasn't changed between my
5 >bootstrap process and the current one. Again, can you elaborate and give a
6 >concrete example?
7
8 Ridiculously old systems? AIX will come with gcc 4.2 if you are lucky. I never managed
9 to compile a recent gcc with an IBM compiler. gcc 4.8 has raised the bar significantly in
10 terms of how new your compiler needs to be. In the case of AIX I had to build and
11 use a more recent gcc (4.6.x or 4.7.x I don’t remember) before being able to gcc 4.8.1.
12 I also manage some SLES 11SP1 ppc64 boxes, gcc 4.8.1 will not build with the
13 gcc 4.3.4 that come as default. I don’t think it even compile with the alternate
14 gcc 4.5 toolchain they provide.
15
16 François
17
18 This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
19 not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
20 guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
21 please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
22 and any attachments.
23
24 Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
25 information.