From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] revolutions in the bootstrapping world
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:15:12
1 On 13-08-2012 08:59:58 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > I hope this can ease bootstrapping for many of you, and resolve lots of
3 > common problems. I've successfully verified it to work in the past few
4 > days on x86-solaris (10), x86-macos (Lion), x86-macos (Leopard),
5 > x64-macos (Lion), and I've heard that x64-macos (Mountain Lion) also
6 > worked.
7
8 I've now also confirmed it successful on x64-macos (Leopard) and
9 ppc-macos (Leopard). I've fixed yesterday sparc-solaris (10), and I'm
10 still waiting for a fix to be proven correct for sparc64-solaris (10).
11 The Solaris bits were perl not finding libdirs. I'm confident we can
12 crack it. I hope today I will solve it, so I can bump the snapshot
13 tomorrow.
14
15 > The docs must be updated and cleaned up to advertise the new and
16 > preferred option of following the interactive installer.
17
18 Any suggestions for the installer are welcome. At the moment:
19 - instructions for resuming (you can rerun the installer with the same
20 input when a failure occurred in stage1, stage2 or stage3, emerge -e
21 system stage you need emerge --resume, and manually create the
22 startscript)
23 - sort-of auto-resuming, more likely "perform" mode, where the inputs
24 required by the installer are given, e.g. ./bootstrap-prefix.sh
25 perform CHOST=... EPREFIX=... MAKEOPTS=... PATH=...
26 - also specify -l next to -j in MAKEOPTS, because it seems the
27 unbeatable formula sometimes appears to be too aggressive
31 Fabian Groffen
32 Gentoo on a different level