From: Duft Markus <Markus.Duft@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] stable keywords for bootstrapping
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:10:15
1 Michael Haubenwallner <mailto:haubi@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 23:11 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >> On 19-04-2008 16:07:19 -0500, matt hull wrote:
4 >>>> Due to numerous occasions of b0rkerage in the bootstrap snapshots,
5 >>>> bootstrapping has failed. A selection of issues that come up:
6 >>>> - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q is the latest version in the snapshot, but this
7 >>>> version has been removed, and its distfiles have become
8 >>>> unavailable (e.g. rsync-3.0.0_pre2) - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q was added
9 >>>> in the snapshot, but breaks several packages (e.g. gcc-4.3.0)
10 >>>
11 >>> perhaps we need to keep older versions for bootstrap ?
12 >>
13 >> I don't think that's a problem. In general the highest version in
14 >> the tree is used at the moment due to our single keywordness.
15 >>
16 >>>> To aid the pre-sync stage, I am considering to switch to usign
17 >>>> stable keywords for the system packages *only*. That is, the
18 >>>> bootstrap process is done with stable keywords, all other packages
19 >>>> remain ~arch and hence a user has to add ~arch to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
20 >>>> after bootstrapping finishes.
21 >>>
22 >>> i would think it would be better to use stable and testing like
23 >>> normal. i would like to try to keep stable here.
24 >>
25 >> That's very unlikely to happen from my point of view. For that we
26 >> really need a bunch of devs that are going to maintain the stable
27 >> keywords like the arch teams currently do for gentoo-x86.
28 >
29 > As we have approximately less than 1 dev per arch, IMO for the
30 > bootstrap _only_ it could be possible to have "stable and testing
31 > like normal", but we might need to reduce the definition of "normal"
32 > (drop stablereq bugs, ...), but then we cannot call it "normal" any
33 > more ;)
34
35 +1. For me "stable" is what i managed to bootstrap with, and my prefix
36 works without constantly core-ing :) I think it would suffice to mark
37 all packages in a fresh bootstrapped prefix to be "bootstrap safe"
38 (which of course may look the same as main's stable keywords), after
39 playing a little with the prefix and not seeing serious issues.
40
41 At least for platforms like interix i see nothing else making sense,
42 since for example i'm the only person right now on interix ... if i
43 can't see any issue, and bootstrapping went ok, it will probably go ok
44 again, and after that i can still update packages where there are fixes
45 for not so critical issues.
46
47 Cheers, Markus
50 > /haubi/