From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Idea: external compilers in gcc-config
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:28:22
On 21-03-2011 16:22:08 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> Hi all, > > I think it would be great to have a possibility to select "external" gcc profiles in gcc-config: > a) add "system" compiler if host system is shipped with decent gcc version; > b) add compiler from another Prefix installation. > > This feature would significantly speed up bootstrap of Prefix eliminating at least one build of > gcc in Gentoo-friendly environments like Linux and Mac OS X, and give some additional > flexibility in building of system.
I bootstrapped on Fedora 14 last week by skipping all ./ commands apart from tree and portage, and that worked fine. Skipping the emerge of compiler and linker is really going to cause trouble, since Gentoo Prefix uses modified versions that make sure all the tools from the Prefix are found. This is an essential bit of Gentoo Prefix, that distinguishes it from all other solutions that are around, because it means you don't have to do anything special to make your libraries and tools being found, once you're in the Prefix environment. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level

Subject Author
[gentoo-alt] Re: Idea: external compilers in gcc-config Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@××××××.ru>