From: John Gibson <jgibson@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] case-insensitive file system on mac
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:58:08
1 On Apr 20, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Qiangning Hong wrote:
2 > Hi all
3 >
4 > I've got a Macbook Pro running Leopard and am installing Gentoo Prefix
5 > on it. When i read the doc about a case-sensitive file system is
6 > assumed, I checked and found that my file system is case-insensitive.
7 > I googled and found it is time-consume to convert the file system
8 > (backup the whole system, reformat, reinstall os and restore the
9 > backup). So here I have two questions:
10 >
11 > 1. If I don't convert, how many/what packages would break? If they
12 > are not essential and I don't need them, I would rather live with the
13 > current file system.
14 >
15 > 2. Can I re-partition my hard driver and create a case sensitive
16 > volume without reformat the whole disk? I know Disk Utility can
17 > shrink the partition and create a new one in the free space, but I
18 > failed to find out how to specify the new partition as a
19 > case-sensitive one.
20 >
21 > Thanks!
22 >
23 > --
24 > Qiangning Hong
25 > http://www.douban.com/people/hongqn/
26 > --
27 > gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list
28
29 I run a MacBook Pro as well. I found that you can just create a
30 sparse image with a case sensitive filesystem and use that for prefix
31 portage.
32
33 John
36 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list