From: Michael Weiser <michael@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefix-portage as root
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:42:50
1 On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 06:19:39PM -0600, Jeremy wrote:
2
3 >> I'm afraid not, because when installing as user michael dosbin can't
4 >> chown a file to root:amanda and chmod it 1750. I'd have to fix
5 >> permissions manually all the time.
6
7 > Support for serveice scripts or daemons that run as root are not currently
8 > supported. See bug #196294 if you would like to contribute. the baselayout
9 > version in prefix is really old and needs alot of work.
10
11 Since Mac OS X now consistently uses launchd, which is hugely different
12 from sysvinit/inetd, I expected and accepted that. I'm looking for
13 root-safeness.
14
15 I'll have a go this evening at:
16
17 - compiling as root and seeing if the resulting permissions are sensible
18 - compiling as root and looking into preventing files outside of
19 $EPREFIX being overwritten
20
21 I realised that fink doesn't do the second part either, so it's not that
22 much of a showstopper if prefix-portage doesn't do it. But it'd sure be
23 nice to have.
24
25 I also realised that sandbox might be Linux-specific and therefore take
26 a lot of effort to port to Mac OS X. A first step might be for emerge to
27 refuse placing files outside of $EPREFIX. This wouldn't catch broken
28 make install scripts overwriting /bin/bash but would catch broken
29 ebuilds compiling for /bin/bash instead of $EPREFIX/bin/bash.
30
31 How might FEATURES="userpriv" help here, d'you think?
32 --
33 Micha
34 --
35 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list