From: Steven Trogdon <strogdon@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] preserving libmpfr.so.4.1.6
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 02:55:30
1 Hello,
2
3 emerge of the latest sage-9999 from sage-on-gentoo requires
4
5 emerge -1 sage
6 Calculating dependencies... done!
7 [ebuild U #] dev-libs/mpfr-4.0.0-r1 [3.1.6]
8 [ebuild N #] sci-mathematics/sage-9999 USE="debug doc-html doc-pdf sagenb
9 testsuite -X -bliss -latex -libbraiding -libhomfly -modular_decomposition"
10 L10N="en -ca -de -es -fr -hu -it -ja -pt -ru -tr" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7
11 -python3_6"
12
13 Presently, mpfr-4.0.0-r1 is package masked.
14
15 # Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> (26 Dec 2017)
16 # gcc depends on mpfr and this version changes soname. Spare users with
17 # FEATURES=-preserve-libs from completely frying their system.
18 =dev-libs/mpfr-4.0.0-r1
19
20 So, since I did not have FEATURES=-preserve-libs I proceeded to unmask
21 mpfr-4.0.0-r1 and continued with the emerge of sage with the hope that libs
22 were preserved. The short story is that I ended up with a broken gcc since the
23 subject libraries were not preserved. This is more elaborately documented at
24 https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/497
25
26 Fortunately, the gcc was recovered by linking to the host (debian) libmpfr and
27 rebuilding the prefix mpfr-3.1.6. So, is there any way to check before one
28 attempts to do this sort of thing that libs in question are being preserved? I
29 can certainly try this again - it may have been gremlins - since I believe I can
30 recover if it fails, but it would be nice to know whether things will work or
31 whether portage is broken. Here I'm using portage-2.3.20
32
33 Thanks everyone,
34 Steven