From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Systemd migration: opinion and questions
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:33:49
1 Marc Joliet posted on Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:15:45 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > I would like to convert some programs I start in .xprofile to units that
4 > are started by my users's systemd instance. I started off with mpd,
5
6 It looks like you got this sorted, but FWIW...
7
8 I just use the standard system level mpd.service here. It drops privs
9 and runs as its own user, and it listens localhost for connections from
10 clients run as normal users, which pretty well limits any potential
11 security issues, and that means I can control it via either my normal X
12 user and GUI client, or mpc or whatever as either my normal user or my
13 admin user (or root, for that matter).
14
15 In fact, IMO that's mpd's biggest advantage over most other players. I
16 don't have to be in X to play music, and in fact, I can not only quit X,
17 but log out as the user I started playing the music with, and have it
18 continue uninterrupted, controlling it when I need to using mpc from
19 whatever other user (here, normally my admin user).
20
21 IOW, I really do use it as the system service/daemon that the name, mpd,
22 music player daemon, implies.
23
24 And as such, I don't /want/ to start it from user login or service, I
25 want it as a system service, which is how I run it. =:^)
26
27 But you're king of your own boxes. If you want to run it as a user-level
28 service and have it quit when you logout that user, go right ahead.
29 Don't let the fact that such usage bothers me and I don't see the point,
30 if you're running it as your normal user anyway, there's all those other
31 player apps, why use mpd in that case, bother you. (No, that isn't
32 sarcasm. Yes, it does bother me, but it's your box and your choice, and
33 presuming to take that away from you would bother me **FAR** more. So do
34 it the way that works best for you! =:^)
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman