From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Running a command after closing a session Possible?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 12:18:22
1 On Tuesday 05 September 2006 01:39, David Fellows wrote:
2 > > Ok, so is there any way to run a command and get it to continue running
3 > > after
4 > >
5 > > closing the current session? I'd really like to be able to ssh to my
6 > > server, run an emerge --update --newuse world on it and then close the
7 > > window and be on my way. Any ideas?
8 > >
9 > > Thanks,
10 > > -Peter
11 > > --
12 > > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
13 >
14 > nohup emerge --update --newuse world &
15
16 This will however redirect the output to a file with a somewhat unpredictable
17 name. The screen method allows you to do things naturally. Otherwise you
18 could also redirect the output to a filename of your choosing. Nohup detects
19 this and then does not create an output file.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze
25 Gentoo Developer