From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] quadcore - part 2
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:10:22
1 On Donnerstag 27 November 2008, Fernando Boaglio wrote:
2 > Hi again, =)
3 >
4 > Yesterday I was installing my Gentoo from stage3 and I noticed (with
5 > htop) even though my machine has 4Gb, only 350mb (tops) was used
6 > during compilation.
7 >
8 > Is there any way to improve my memory usage ?
9
10 if it doesn't need more, it won't use more. You can speed things up a bit with
11 -pipe cflag and /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
14 > Another question: the cooler from quadcore box is too much noisy, and
15 > my old machine ( X2 4200+ - Socket 939) has an excellent Zalman cooler
16 > , but will be safe to use it ?
17
18 Zalman and excellent? Really?
19
20 Check their website. Most Zalman coolers aren' compatible with AM2 or not
21 powerfull enough.
22
23 http://www.frostytech.com/
24 http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm