From: Tres Melton <tres@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System died going from 2005.0 to 2005.1
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 03:05:08
1 On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 16:20 -0600, scotthathcock@×××××××.net wrote:
2 > My system has developed serious problems related to the emul libs. The
3 > advice given as a reply to my bug has made the system impossible to
4 > upgrade using emerge. It is possible the problem dates back to the
5 > 2004.3->2005.0 upgrade, I don't know.
6 >
7 > Is there a way to build a "from scratch" 2005.1 system over the net
8 > without having to download and boot from a CD? Will it leave my user
9 > directories alone? The installation docs assume that you don't have a
10 > runnig gentoo system and start with a boot CD.
11
12 I wouldn't do this without a developer telling you it is going to work
13 but....
14
15 Get a bootable Linux CD and boot from it and unzip the portage snapshot
16 and stage tarball onto your system as the manual says. Then sync,
17 bootstrap, and emerge -e world. That should get you back to where you
18 are functional. Just use the newest 2005.1 stage on the install.
19
20 > Thanks,
21 > Scott
22 --