From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Sansa Clip+
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 05:02:49
1 sean posted on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:28:30 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > My son just purchased a Sansa Clip+ and from what I read it is supposed
4 > to be accessible in Linux, it would look like a USB drive for drag and
5 > drop.
6 >
7 > Anyway, I updated the firmware to the latest, and set the USB mode on
8 > the Clip+ to MSC.
9 >
10 > I am wondering if I need to setup support in the kernel, or something
11 > else?
12
13 What are the other modes available on the clip+? If I'm not mistaken, you
14 want mass storage mode.
15
16 In mass storage mode, provided your kernel and udev is configured
17 correctly, it should be detected (check the kernel logs, aka dmesg, just
18 after plugging it in), activating the mass storage driver, which will
19 detect the partitioning. That will in turn activate udev to make
20 available the device as a /dev/sdX device, with all the partitions, if
21 any, available as /dev/sdXY, where X is a letter and Y is a number (like
22 any other scsi system based block device,
23 pata/sata/scsi/usb-mass-storage/whatever, only the old deprecated ide
24 drivers use /dev/hdXY any more). What happens after that (automounting,
25 or simply available for you to mount manually) will depend on your fstab
26 and hal config, etc.
27
28 Mass storage is by far the simplest mode to work with and troubleshoot.
29 The other mode, media device or whatever, uses much lower level kernel
30 drivers, usb and bit-banging or some such, with the higher level interface
31 being userspace. Generally, only specific media apps (such as amarok,
32 with the appropriate USE flags, I assume there's a gtk/gnome media app
33 that supports that too) with the userspace support built-in will be able
34 to deal with devices in that mode. In media mode, the device will not
35 normally be available in a file manager, etc, as it isn't exposed as a
36 block device, except in mass storage mode.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman