From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Virtualization/WinXP
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:04:36
1 Hi,
2 OK - with the new machine up and running well enough to do some
3 work I really need to get some sort of virtualization going to see if
4 I can get around the fact that XP cannot be installed on this machine.
5 (at least not easily) I need to run TradeStation and I'd like to try
6 under Linux but Wine is ABSOLUTELY not an option.
7
8 I ran XP & TS on my older system (5 year old 3GHz AMD64) but it's
9 been a long time since I tried it. The performance was just OK. I
10 expect this machine may be acceptable.
11
12 To anyone familiar with this subject a few questions:
13
14 1) If I go the VMWare route is it vmware-workstation that I want?
15
16 2) Are there any prebuilt XP images that would save me the hassle of
17 installing Win XP and just allow me to validate with my existing keys?
18 Is this the purpose of vmware-player? (which doesn't seem to have
19 fetch restrictions...)
20
21 3) In some ways the most important question is what are the Open
22 Source alternatives and how easy are they to set up?
23
24 For now I'm working from this list of documents and the index in
25 the upper right:
26
27 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/VMware_Workstation
28