From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cleaning /tmp directory takes an irrational quantity of time
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:15:08
1 Rafael Barrera Oro <rafael@××××××××××××××××.ar> posted
2 44CA56C7.1040804@××××××××××××××××.ar, excerpted below, on Fri, 28 Jul
3 2006 15:26:15 -0300:
4
5 > For now i have decided to try downgrade to the 239-r1 version and see what
6 > happens, but anyhow here is the output of "cat /var/log/messages |grep
7 > ldap":
8 >
9 > if this does not work i will try Richard's approach
10 >
11 > i cant make anything out of this file since most of it is i am not an ldap
12 > expert, but if anyone recognizes something suspicious, feel free to tell
13 > me :P
14
15 If you are running LDAP, the downgrade will almost certainly fix the
16 problem. Read on for some detail and alternative workarounds.
17
18 There's an open bug and several known complications related
19 to LDAP, with the current setup. I don't run it (thus didn't make the
20 connection until someone else mentioned LDAP or I would have posted), but
21 I've seen discussion of it a couple times on the dev list and the like.
22 The following is relayed from those discussions. Again, I don't run it so
23 may get terminology wrong, but the below is the gist. Search on bugzilla
24 if you need more details.
25
26 In addition to the downgrade, there's a couple other workarounds that work
27 for some people. Possibly the easiest, if your setup allows it, is to
28 ensure that all users have an entry in your local passwd and group files,
29 and/or tweaking the lookup order to ensure that it's checked first, rather
30 than checking the remote LDAP files first. The slowdown is apparently due
31 to a quirk in init order, whereby LDAP permissions are being checked
32 before LDAP is actually up and running, thereby resulting in everything
33 coming to a halt, until the LDAP query times out and the next one
34 starts... and times out... with several such timeouts occurring during a
35 typical boot sequence. Thus, ensuring that the local files are checked
36 first and have the required information, so the request
37 to not-yet-functional LDAP is avoided, avoids the problem.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list