From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: video driver / system state question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:02:24
1 On 01/26/2010 07:30 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:59 AM, Peter Humphrey
3 > <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> On Tuesday 26 January 2010 01:13:59 Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,10000000 old: write-back new:
7 >>> write-combining [drm] MTRR allocation failed. Graphics performance may
8 >>> suffer.
9 >>
10 >> This rings a bell. Your kernel line in grub.conf has something like
11 >> "video=inteldrmfb:mtrr:3,ywrap", no? The 3 is causing the error above, or
12 >> you may have a 4. Google should be able to find you the docs on this. The
13 >> options are write-combining and write-back; if one doesn't work the other
14 >> should.
15 >>
16 >> --
17 >> Rgds
18 >> Peter.
22 > Hi all,
23 > OK - it's working and gentoo-amd64 is the first email recipient
24 > from my new i5-661 running Gentoo Linux and XFCE4. THANKS TO EVERYONE!
25 >
26 > I'll need to document what I did to get it going as well as archive
27 > files so as to protect myself from some sort of infant mortality or
28 > operator error. None the less at least it's up and usable.
29 >
30 > This seems to be one of those cases where I cannot recognize
31 > exactly who had the final answer as there were a lot of things I did
32 > last night to get the machine going, both based on information from
33 > this thread as well as a thread at intel-gfx. Clearly I'm still
34 > learning/confused about the exact technology here so I want to iron
35 > that out over the next few days.
36 >
37 > The main points, subject to me getting schooled on what's really
38 > happening here:
39 >
40 > 1) The new i5-661 processor and i915 running X are ONLY supported
41 > using KMS so there seem to be two ways to do this:
42 > a) Build the kernel with AGP, DRM and KMS into the kernel, or
43 > b) Build the kernel with AGP, DRM and KMS modular and then use
44 > i915.modeset=1 on the boot command line
45 >
46 > I am using b) at this time.
47 >
48 > 2) Use drm.debug=0x06 to get lots of nice messages from DRM about
49 > what's going on.
50 >
51 > 3) Configure the kernel to support frame buffers but turn off
52 > everything except these 4, and possibly only the first and last ones:
53 > (grep for "FB" and "FRAMEBUFFER")
54 >
55 > CONFIG_FB=y
56 > CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=m
57 > CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=m
58 > CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=m
59 > CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
60 >
61 > The CFB entries are probably not necessary but I haven't figured out
62 > where they are in the kernel yet to turn them off. They do load
63 > modules so they might be required.
64 >
65 > 4) In make.conf use these lines among others:
66 >
67 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
68 > USE="hal dts mmx sse sse2 ssse3 sse4 -gnome -kde"
69 > INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
70 > VIDEO_CARDS="intel fbdev"
71 >
72 > to set up for X and get a normal text boot which I think is taking
73 > place in the frame buffer.
74 >
75 > 5) As root run
76 >
77 > Xorg -configure
78 > Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new
79 >
80 > If things go right I'm to the point where Drake was correct. X is up
81 > but the screen is blank. Copy xorg.conf.new to /etc/X/xorg.conf
82 >
83 > X -retro does work. Thanks Drake!
84 >
85 > 6) emerge xfce4-meta and then as user put "exec startxfce4" in
86 > .xinitrc, and then startx
87 >
88 > Assuming I haven't made any omissions or stupid mistakes that gets
89 > me into xfce4. I don't know if I'm running X over a frame buffer or
90 > using a more native VGA.
91
92 Enable compositing ("effects") in XFCE. If it works, you're on native.