From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Packet Forwarding
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:29:28
1 On Tuesday 20 June 2006 03:17, Mihir Sevak wrote:
2 > Hello everybody,
3 > I am running Gentoo AMD - 64 machine as a bridge. Unfortunately
4 > when i receive huge #
5 > of packets (hundreds of thousands of bits / sec) it seems that i am
6 > dropping some of the packets totally. I am using IPTraf for monitoring
7 > my traffic.
8 > So either the information being displayed is wrong or there is
9 > something in linux kernel which is dropping (buffering and loosing)
10 > the packets.
11
12 Probably the information is right. A critical point is actually what kind of
13 interface you have. Be aware that a gigabit ethernet port has only marginally
14 less bandwith than a pci bus (http://www.acme.com/build_a_pc/bandwidth.html).
15 If you use the system as a bridge (2 cards) that means that you cannot
16 sustain the 1gbs bandwith and will drop packets (even with a single card you
17 will, because the pci bus is used for more than the network card). The
18 solution would be to use a pci express system.
19
20 Paul
21
22 ps. dropping packets is not really a problem. (Monitoring dropped packets
23 could also be done with ifconfig).
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Gentoo Developer
28 Mail: pauldv@g.o