From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Machine recommendations?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:44:45
1 Dear interlist...
2 =:^)
3
4 I'm currently considering two upgrades and am looking for gentoo amd64
5 friendly recommendations.
6
7 1) Netbook/chromebook or possibly amd64-based tablet (presumably shipped
8 with android, I'm not interested in anything MS-based, even if I plan to
9 immediately wipe it and install gentoo).
10
11 Requirements:
12
13 Relatively cheap and small, easy to install gentoo on, amd64, not too
14 flimsy, hopefully upgradeable SATA drive, HD-standard 1366x720 or better
15 yet full-hd 1920x1080 strongly preferred, minimum 1024x600 (upgrading
16 from). While I used ethernet connectivity nearly exclusively on the old
17 netbook, I expect I'll use wifi more on the upgrade, but strongly prefer
18 wired ethernet for home use as well.
19
20 Need not be a performance powerhouse as I'll be building on my main
21 bulldozer-1 (fx6100) based workstation and transferring it over, and 8-12
22 inch display is good, larger would cut down on portability too much.
23
24 I currently have a generation 1.5 Acer Aspire One netbook (aoa150l, IIRC),
25 32-bit-only x86 (32-bit atom n270), that I've actually been quite pleased
26 with in general including performance, portability and durability. Given
27 that it's a single-core with hyperthreading, clocked at 1.6 GHz IIRC, and
28 I've been happy with its performance, performance really /isn't/ a big
29 issue. This was one of the first netbooks to actually have a standard
30 SATA connector and thus be drive-upgradeable.
31
32 My biggest issue with it has been that it's 32-bit only, and while I
33 installed a 32-bit chroot on my main machine and do the building there,
34 the fact that it's 32-bit only means I have to build stuff twice if I'm
35 upgrading it, with the practical result being that gets put off and it
36 often goes a year or more between upgrades[1], meaning they tend to be
37 really hairy when I actually do them. A newer amd64-based system (Intel
38 or AMD) would eliminate this issue.
39
40 The second issue is its relatively small 9" 1024x600 resolution, and of
41 course its now dated db-15 analog vga external graphics connector. While
42 I want to keep a reasonably small footprint and am not too concerned
43 about display size, the bezel was big enough I expect I'll get a larger
44 display on an upgrade, even with the same overall size, so that's not a
45 big issue. The bigger issue is that I would like at least HD-standard
46 1366x720 resolution.
47
48 The third and now more urgent issue is that... someone recently
49 "borrowed" it, and I don't expect to get it back... tho actually I'm not
50 put out too much about it as I really wanted an excuse to upgrade it
51 anyway, and this is it. =:^) Tho it's still not a /huge/ issue... I can
52 do without just fine, it was just nice to have.
53
54 Since the chromebooks are all supposed to have developer mode and support
55 installing something else, an amd64-based (well, 64-bit atom-based,
56 probably) chromebook would seem a reasonably cost-effective upgrade.
57
58 But: I don't know the various complications of the various models,
59 whether they all have native Linux drivers or if some are still blobs,
60 etc, and the gentoo wiki writeup on the higher-end chromebook pixel, the
61 only chromebook writeup I found on the gentoo wiki, made me decide I
62 definitely needed more info (tho I'd have been unlikely to go with a high-
63 end one like that anyway, as I don't need it), and preferably
64 recommendations from others who are happy with their gentoo installations
65 on amd64-based chromebooks or similar.
66
67 Then of course there's the amd64-based tablets out now. I'm guessing
68 these to be rather more problematic than chromebooks in terms of swtiching
69 out to gentoo, blob-drivers, existing Linux app compatibility, etc.
70 Plus, upgradable sata-standard storage, etc, less likely. A tablet would
71 be very nice and I could use a bluetooth or USB-based external keyboard
72 if I didn't want to deal with a touchscreen based soft-keyboard, but I'm
73 uninterested if I can't put gentoo on it without issue or if it requires
74 blob-drivers, and hardware upgradeability is likely to be a problem as
75 well, so I'm still skeptical on how practical it'd be.
76
77 So amd64/atom based chromebook with good gentoo install potential looks
78 to be my best bet, ATM. Just... which one?
81 2) For similar amd64-build-once-use-everywhere reasons, amd64-based
82 router upgrade.
83
84 Requirements: amd64-based (or what's the point?), minimum 4-port
85 Ethernet required, 5-6 preferred, wifi nice but optional. SATA internal
86 near-required (could be USB I guess), sata/usb3 for external storage nice.
87
88 Probably barebones or mobo+ base to build on, altho cheap used meeting
89 other requirements is an option. Target of 5 independent Gigabit
90 Ethernet ports. Quad-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIE expansion cards are
91 available, so a free PCIE slot plus 1-2 ports builtin is the likely
92 solution there. I'm figuring a cheap mobo/cpu combo, downclocked for
93 passive or slow/silent-fan cooling, with a silent/passive power supply is
94 an option, tho not necessarily the cheapest one especially if I can find
95 something used.
96
97 Current router is an old Linksys wrt54gl, running openwrt. It's doing
98 fine, but needs a firmware update and both the 100 Mbit fast-ethernet WAN
99 port and a/b/g-only wifi (which I actually have configured off in openwrt)
100 are dated.
101
102 What I really appreciate about the wrt54g with openwrt is that the
103 ethernet ports and wifi are all separately configurable/firewallable, tho
104 I've not made as much use of that as I'd like to, because so much of the
105 configuration is openwrt specific and the knowledge doesn't transfer as
106 seamlessly between it and my gentoo machines as I'd like it to, so I've
107 not bothered to learn as much about it and customize it as much as I
108 would have were it gentoo.
109
110 The biggest issue here is again the fact that it's not amd64-based making
111 updates inconvenient and thus less frequent than I'd prefer. OpenWRT is
112 great firmware, but native gentoo would be /so/ much easier to work with,
113 and native amd64 gentoo would be ideal, since packages could be easily
114 built on my main machine and at least some of them built only once for
115 all three machines, workstation/netbook/router.
116
117 Cost-wise, the quad-port gigabit ethernet card alone starts at about (US)
118 $80 on pricewatch.com, a wireless ac/n USB from $30 and PCIE (includes
119 bluetooth) from $56, if I decide to add wireless, and the base computer
120 seems to run $200-300 in various configurations, so we're looking at
121 $300-400, tilting toward $400 unless I get a good deal.
122
123 That's certainly steep compared to off-the-shelf routers, but it's amd64
124 and much more flexible than off-the-shelf routers. Further component
125 upgrades should be much cheaper, as well.
126
127 But I strongly suspect I can bring that down to $300-ish if I find a good
128 $200 or under used computer as a base. The biggest problem is finding a
129 good one that is known to have the required open PCIE slot for the quad-
130 port gigabit Ethernet...
131
132 And $300 is in the range of the top end off-the-shelf routers, which this
133 would compare to in general, probably with slower wifi but much more
134 flexible in general...
135
136 FWIW, I've seen noises of an off-the-shelf amd64-based router in the
137 works. Target market would be Linux/tech enthusiasts. And I see
138 existing embedded options, but the price is sky high, in the
139 thousands... But I don't see existing anything, for anything even
140 /close/ to reasonable, say a nice and round $500 or under. At $500 I'd
141 likely not actually get it, but at least it'd be in the "OK, I can at
142 least dream about it" range.
143
144 But someone else here may know about something I've missed. Asking can't
145 hurt! =:^)
146
147 ---
148 [1] Year between upgrades: Security was specifically not a big issue as I
149 deliberately kept in mind that I might lose it and kept the personal
150 stuff off it. Also, a bit ironically given the netbook moniker, I didn't
151 actually use the wifi on it much, mostly using it unconnected on the road
152 and wired ethernet connected behind my router at home. Without security
153 being an issue, keeping current on updates wasn't a big issue either, as
154 long as it continued to work.
159 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman