From: Tres Melton <tres@××××××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 linking issues.
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 05:43:16
I have been working on that darned error that has
plagued many of us (including those w/ x86).  I have just posted
something to the forum and wanted to post it here to to get reactions
from x86-64 users on my speculation in the last paragraph.  Anyway:

Well it seems that sys-libs/com_err-1.38 and sys-libs/ss-1.38 were
released today. I dutifully upgraded my system (along with some other
packages) and everything seems to have gone okay. Upon conclusion I
retried revdep-rebuild and came up with the same error:

rm /root/.revdep-rebuild*.?_* ; revdep-rebuild
Checking dynamic linking consistency...
broken /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines/ (requires
broken /usr/kde/3.3/lib/kde3/ (requires
All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot =app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs-2.1
Build finished correctly. Removing temporary files...

I don't have the same symptoms as others (w/ Samba) and I'm
sure /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines/ is related
to mplayer32-bin but for some reason revdep-rebuild doesn't even attempt
to fix /usr/kde/3.3/lib/kde3/

"equery belongs /usr/kde/3.3/lib/kde3/" failed to return
anything but "equery belongs" returned both
kde-base/kdelibs-3.3.2-r9 and kde-base/kdelibs-3.4.1-r1. Do I even need
3.3.2 if I have 3.4.1? Just to be safe with some of the older packages I
didn't --unmerge it. Manually trying to re-emerge kde-base/kdelibs
("emerge -avDt --newuse kde-base/kdelibs") yielded a number of "Error:
libgd was not built with FreeType font support" which could be an
insight into the problem as media-libs/libgd is a part of the mplayer32
package and not available as a 64 bit package. In my opinion kdelibs
should not be linking against a 32 bit binary library. Anyway, that is
where it stands at the moment, re-emerging kdelibs didn't change

Best Regards,