From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ldconfig breaks my system
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:40:56
Alex Bennee posted <1121624098.9429.5.camel@malory>, excerpted below,  on
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:14:57 +0000:

> On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 09:13 -0700, Zac Medico wrote: > >> I had a similar problem (actually with plain x86) a couple months ago. >> That was with glibc- > > Yes that one. I've been unable to succesfully upgrade to 2.3.5 without > hitting the failure. However I left my system building a fresh partition > from scratch over the weekend - it managed to upgrade to 2.3.5 without a > problem. > > Something has obviously broken on my main partition that is preventing the > update. Perhaps the difference in explain things?
I've been running glibc-2.3.5 fine since April, save for the time I was running 2.3.5-20050421, the snapshot with gcc-4.x fixes. (The snapshot worked in amd64 mode, compiled with gcc4 of course, but the x86 ABI version failed, causing further gcc/glibc/sandbox emerge failures because they have multilib elements and failed during the 32-bit configure step due to being unable to load a library, presumably glibc, when testing for a working (32-bit) gcc-compiler. After I figured out that was the problem, I simply returned to the normal 2.3.5 version, compiled with gcc-3.4.x since it didn't have the gcc4 patches applied.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list