From: Evert <evert@×××××××.info>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: 0@××××××××××.org, gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 965 chipset and 2 DIMM slots will never give 4GB available? Is that correct?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:13:40
1 Evert wrote:
2 > Hi all!
3 >
4 > I was having some trouble with my AOpen EU965 barebone (
5 > http://xc.aopen.com.tw/Cube-m-specification%20.aspx?Auno=2209 ) and getting access to the
6 > full 4GB I plugged into it.
7 >
8 > And now their helpdesk is telling me the following:
9 >
10 > 'Based on the specification of the chipset, it can support 8GB when using 4 DIMM slot. Our
11 > MB had 2 slot only, so the max memory is 4GB. But if the main memory is 4GB, OS will
12 > allocate 3~4GB memory address for onboard device. This is why you can only get 3.xGB when
13 > you install 4GB memory. Other 965 chipset with 2 DIMM slot had the same result. The only
14 > way is use a 4 slot MB and add the memory more then 4GB. So that the memory size in OS
15 > will the same as you installed.'
16
17 I read their text again and noticed: 'OS will allocate 3~4GB memory address for onboard
18 device'.
19 Wouldn't that mean it's simply a (kernel)configuration issue...?
22 Regards,
23 Evert
24
25 PS. I added gmane.linux.gentoo.amd64 to this thread, in case it is just a config-matter.
26 Here is 'uname -a' of the system:
27 Linux XCcube 2.6.22-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 23:10:28 CEST 2007 x86_64 Intel(R)
28 Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
31 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list