From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Root on Raid and LVM - Solved
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:23:43
Edward Middleton posted <4372AD03.8080400@××××××××××××.jp>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:14:27 +0900:

>>Anyway... it was quite cool to realize the 2.6 kernel handles >>partitioned raid, now, and with direct boot-time kernel raid assembly, I >>could run root on raid6 without an initrd/initramfs! > That is pretty cool that you recognize a partitioned raid at boot. > >> So, no root on LVM here! > The reason for lvm root is that you can resize the root partition. It > is also trivial to setup a secondary rescue root partition in case you > mess up your system.
OK, not like anyone's probably interested in this, but I worked hard the last few weeks and need somewhere to brag a bit about the result! =8^) FWIW, the raid system is 100% up and running, including switching from LILO to GRUB and learning a /ton/ about raid/lvm/grub all three! I'm only using lvm on my non-root raid6 partition, and as explained, the kernel handles the raid on its own, so no need for an initrd/initramfs! Yeah! -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list