From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Root on Raid and LVM
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:55:42
1 Florian D. posted <433FDF0A.4090306@×××.at>, excerpted below, on Sun, 02
2 Oct 2005 15:22:18 +0200:
3
4 > i cannot understand, how you got things working without an extra /boot
5 > partition. the system needs initrd to start the LVM, right? but if
6 > initrd itself is on the LVM...? very interesting ;-)
7
8 He didn't say he didn't have an extra boot. He only enumerated the LVs
9 (logical volumes) on the MD/RAID, which he said was on sda5, sdb5, etc,
10 all partition 5, on /dev/md5.
11
12 The usual way to handle that, if you are booting from the RAID array
13 as well, is to create a small raid1 array out of small partitions toward
14 the front of each physical disk, for /boot. Being raid1 (mirrored), the
15 same data is imaged to all disks in the raid1 identically. Both GRUB and
16 LILO can read individual disk partitions belonging to the mirror array as
17 if they were stand-alone partitions, so can boot from any of them, altho
18 they do boot from only one at a time. The kernel and initrd are on this
19 boot array (so mirrored to each physical disk in the array), and can then
20 be loaded. Root and other LVs are then created on the main VG (volume
21 group (or multiple groups) taking the rest of the disks, to be loaded from
22 the initrd. Once /they/ are loaded, and the pivot_root to the main-root
23 on the main VG is accomplished, the raid1 array containing /boot can be
24 mounted, if desired. (As usual, Gentoo keeps /boot unmounted by default.)
25
26 ... As some may guess, I've been studying this stuff recently! =8^) I
27 don't have my own RAID setup yet, but probably will by late this week. (I
28 plan to go pickup the drives probably Tue or Wed.)
29
30 Of course, he didn't actually say /boot is on raid1, either. It may be on
31 a conventional disk, perhaps manually backed up. There is some clue that
32 there are extra partitions, however, and probably extra RAID volumes as
33 well, since both the partitions and the md's mentioned were #5. Now, #5
34 is the first secondary partition in the extended partition, so there
35 wouldn't /have/ to be a 1-4. However, there's likely at least an sdX1 on
36 all the disks, which would form the raid1 for /boot.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
42 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
46 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list