From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About gcc 4.1.1
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:30:39
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 44F88FD3.2020809@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 01 Sep 2006
3 15:53:55 -0400:
4
5 > Duncan wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Quoting the gist of the general instructions:
8 >>
9 >> Code Listing 2.1: Upgrading GCC
10 >> # emerge -uav gcc
14 > Ok, that is failing for me after a long time (probably on the second pass):
17 > checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc...
18 > /var/tmp/portage/gcc-4.1.1/work/build/./gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/po
19 > rtage/gcc-4.1.1/work/build/./gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/
20 > - -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem
21 > /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem
22 > /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include -m32
23 > checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
24 > checking whether the C compiler works...
25 > configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
26
27 > Not sure what is going on here. That -m32 doesn't look good though (but
28 > what do I know?).
29 >
30 > I am able to compile both 64-bit and 32-bit in general (tested simple
31 > shell of a .c file). And it compiled for a long time before dieing.
32
33 Last time that happened here, it was due to some crap left over from an
34 unclean upgrade. (I had a partial hard drive failure and in recovering
35 from that using backups, my portage database in /var/db got out of sync
36 with what I really had merged on the rest of my system. I remerged all
37 the new packages to get everything back in sync, but that left a lot of
38 orphaned old files around.) It was seeing an old copy of some things and
39 therefore getting screwed up. After I devised a script that matched up
40 the files that portage said belonged to packages (using equery files or
41 equery belongs) with the files actually on the disk, and listed any that
42 didn't belong to anything, then manually removed most of those files (a few
43 were there for a reason), the problem disappeared.
44
45 If you aren't handy enough with bash or other scripting to devise such a
46 script, you can do it manually, but it'll take awhile. I'd start with an
47 equery files for glibc and gcc, comparing the actual files you have
48 on-disk including version with what portage says you should have, paying
49 special attention where you have two versions of a file. If you find a
50 few orphaned files there, that may fix the problem and you won't have to
51 go further (except that you should do so eventually anyway, as those old
52 stale versions will continue to cause problems for some time, and may be
53 security vulnerabilities if they get used instead of the newer and
54 presumably patched versions).
55
56 Alternatively, you may be able to work with someone who knows a quite a
57 lot more than I do about gcc and/or glibc, and be able to find the
58 problem. For a start, after the broken compile, you should have a
59 config.log file in the build dir, that will tell you what lines of the
60 configure script actually went wrong and how, and you (or someone else who
61 knows about it) can work from there at discovering the problem.
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
69 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list