From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: failing to emerge update
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:40:25
1 Mansour Al Akeel posted on Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:25:15 -0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > I lost the output from the previos build, and unable to regenerate the
4 > issue after fooliwnf libxcb update guilde. But now I am stuck with
5 > another error, when bulllding gcc.
8 > /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2/
9
10 gcc-4.1.2 ? gcc 4.1 is a bit outdated. You /may/ be able to simply
11 unmerge it. What versions of gcc do you have installed, anyway? It's
12 likely you have a 4.3 version, as gcc-4.3.2-r3 is the latest keyworded
13 stable for amd64.
14
15 A caution, however. Until your whole system is rebuilt with the newer
16 gccs, some C++ packages in particular may still link to the old
17 versions. But it should at least be possible to ignore the old gccs for
18 the moment (emerge --resume --skipfirst if necessary) and build
19 everything else. If you're using FEATURES=buildpkg, it's easy enough to
20 unmerge a package, see if anything breaks (run revdep-rebuild and see if
21 there's anything that needs rebuilt, and hope it rebuilds fine), and
22 remerge the binpkg if necessary. That's what I'd do.
23
24 If you're not running FEATURES=buildpkg, I'd suggest you consider it.
25 Right before a system-wide rebuild is a great time to turn it on. =:^)
26 But if you're not, you can use quickpkg to create a binpkg of a
27 particular package before removing it for testing. That way you still
28 get the binpkg, and can remerge it if necessary, if you find you still
29 need it.
30
31 Anyway... after updating gcc to 4.3.2-r3 if you don't have it, and gcc-
32 config-ing to it, you could emerge --emptytree @system @world so
33 everything is built with it, and then unmerge older gcc versions,
34 including the 4.1.2 that's giving you issues ATM.
35
36 FWIW, on ~amd64, the only gcc I have currently installed is 4.4.1, as I
37 unmerged earlier versions after I had rebuilt the entire system with it.
38 I do remember having some issues rebuilding earlier gccs at one point,
39 but with the entire system (other than those gccs) building with 4.4.1, I
40 was able to unmerge them instead of rebuild them.
41
42 Of course, I always do --update --deep --newuse, generally a couple times
43 a week, and revdep-rebuild and --depclean afterward, to make sure the
44 system stays consistent and keep the cruft to a minimum. If you've let
45 it build up by not regularly using --update --deep and not regularly
46 doing --depcleans and revdep-rebuilds, you are likely to have quite some
47 problems getting the system back in shape, as there will be quite some
48 cruft buildup to clean out, and doing it incrementally as the updates
49 show up is MUCH easier than letting it buildup and trying to do it all at
50 once.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman