From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] HALLELUJAH! FINALLY figured out the problem with my IOMMU and AGP!
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:43:21
It turned out the issue with the IOMMU was a BIOS setting -- and a totally
unsuspected one at that!  Of course, the AMD IOMMU device is part of the
AGP-GART, and I had never been able to get DRM/DRI working, either.  The
problem with both was one and the same -- I had Fast-writes (FW) enabled
in the AGP Hypertransport configuration.  Turning it off allowed both the
hardware IOMMU and DRM to work.  As I had earlier figured out that I
couldn't boot with the hardware IOMMU enabled and had to use the software
one, at least past kernel 2.6.15 as they killed the SCSI bouncebuffers for
.16, I tested first with that.  Once I got it working, I had  a good idea
the DRM/DRI would work as well, and so it did!  No more being stuck with
Mesa software 3D!  Hallelujah and much rejoicing!  I had been fighting
with that on and off for quite awhile (over a year, tho it got much more
urgent when I upgraded from a gig to 8 gig of RAM and needed the IOMMU),
and had almost come to believe that part of my mobo chipset was borken.
Glad it wasn't!  =8^)